Surgical Instructions: Pre-Operative Care & Sedation
Follow these pre-operative care and sedation instructions before an oral surgery procedure:
- Do not eat food or drink liquids, including water, for at least six (6) hours prior to your surgical procedure.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of your appointment.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. If the patient is a minor, the escort must be a parent or legal guardian.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing. Wear a short sleeve shirt or a shirt that can be rolled up past the elbow.
- Also, wear low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with our office or your operating dentist prior to your surgical date for instructions.